Thursday, April 14, 2011

HOW TO: Travel Internationally, Train and Beat Jet Lag

Talk about a triple threat combination.  It is tough enough to train when you are on the road.  The same questions continually arise - Does the hotel have a gym?  Where is the nearest pool?  How do I work out before dinner?  Did I bring enough underwear?  But when you add in the combination of long flights and six or seven (or more - hello India!) time zones difference, it can seem nearly impossible.  I have been traveling internationally for many years now and I have finally come up with a method that works every time.  There is a key to the method though:  Take control of your schedule.  I guarantee you that if you don't take control of your schedule someone will do it for you...and it won't be in your favor.  Most people do not pay attention to the fact that you work out...or that you find your strength to actually put up with them day in and day out through fitness.  Most people are oblivious about how without your daily training you would have already performed a reenactment of the conference room scene from "Kill Bill."  So take control!
 
I am going to share with you my golden rules - free of charge.  I am probably giving up my opportunity to make enough money to retire by doing this.  I am an altruistic person - ask my wife.  I have a habit of giving away all of my stuff periodically as a way of self-purification.  Perhaps by giving you these rules I will continue my ritualistic purification through the ether. 


Here they are:

1.  Have a solid agenda before you ever leave for the trip:  If you don't have an agenda then throw your opportunities to the wind as without structure you are a lost puppy.  With an agenda you can make it known up front when you will start and end your day.  People will flex to your schedule based on what you need to accomplish. Show up fashionably late for dinner or ensure that meetings start at 9 AM.  If you set the agenda you will be in control.

2.  Don't drink too much wine on the plan:  I only drink two glasses of wine on the way from the US to Europe.  I don't drink any alcohol on the way back. 

3.  Make sure you eat:  You may not be very hungry...but your body needs food.  Eat so that you have enough energy to do your work and still exercise!

4.  Sleep as much as you can:  On an overnight trip to London from Chicago you are lucky to get three hours of sleep...make sure you get them.  Three is better than none! 

5.  Don't talk to the person next to you:  Put in your ear buds and listen to music.  Your neighbor doesn't really want to talk with you so don't even attempt it.

6.  Once you get to your destination:  If you have arrived during the day - DO NOT SLEEP!  You need to go to sleep at about 10 PM local time (unless you are in the Mediterranean where you won't get to bed until about 2 AM…if at all).

7.  Make sure you exercise the first day you arrive:  Even if you are dog tired - go to the gym.  Put in an easy 10k run or a 60 minute bike.  When I was traveling often to the US from Europe in the past, I would always swim about 2k after I got to the hotel and then go to dinner.  I was lucky to last to 10 PM...but it worked!

8.  Drink red wine:  I have tried many things...but red wine wins every time.  Don't get drunk off your butt...but drink some wine until you are tired.  If you drink too much, you will sleep and then have a hangover.  Drink enough to put you in dream land...but not too much.  Also, don’t forget to drink a lot of water if you are drinking alcohol.

9.  Take Melatonin:  It is a natural chemical that tells your body GO TO SLEEP NOW!  It works...trust me.  I cannot condone taking it with red wine...use your discretion...but I take it no matter what.

10.  Do not look at the clock in the night:  Set your alarm and do not look at the clock again.  If you look at the clock you will psych yourself out.  If you wake up, turn over and think of walking through a field of tall grass and flowers (it works for me...so why wouldn't it work for you??).

I am writing these principles while I am sitting on the terrace at the hotel in Madrid.  It is 9:00 PM and the sun is still out...it is warm and people are clinking their cervezas together.  I have no idea what they are saying...but they look happy!  And I am tired...but another hour to go before I sleep!  Cheers!

JXPDAJYRZQ7S

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog. Thanks for sharing all such wonderful information. Without knowing the details of what pathogenic agents were present, people understood that where there were bad vapors, diseases lurked. In my mind, nothing is as inspiring, energizing, and enlightening as travel. But make your immune power strong for this.

    Jet lag remedy

    ReplyDelete